Position Vacancy, 2023
Title: Watercraft Inspection Steward/Environmental Educator (2 positions available)
Program Mission: This program is possible through an agreement between SUNY ESF and NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. The Watercraft Inspection Program is a public education program whose goal is to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS) through voluntary watercraft inspections and educational outreach at boat launches.
Position Type: Summer seasonal appointment (May-September) exceeding no more than four months.
Full time (40 hours/week). Work schedule is Friday-Monday, 8:00AM-6:30PM. Weekends and weekends and holidays are mandatory.
Compensation: The rate of pay is $15.65 per hour. This position does not include health care benefits or paid vacation and personal leave.
Position Locations: Conesus Lake State Boat Launch, 5030 E Lake Rd, Livonia, New York 14487
*Stewards should be located within commuting distance of this location. Transportation and housing will not be provided.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform voluntary watercraft inspections, remove, identify and dispose of aquatic plants found on
- Educate patrons about aquatic invasive species and distribute educational literature and brochures.
- Transport materials for and set up an education and outreach table each day.
- Collect data about boat launch use, aquatic invasive species spread prevention behaviors, and vectors for
potential AIS spread and enter information into a digital tablet.
- Participate in invasive species removal projects, public education and outreach opportunities, and various
trainings throughout the state, away from designated boat launch location(s). Some travel required.
- Operation of a watercraft decontamination station (training provided).
- Completed or pursuing a degree in natural resources, biology, environmental studies, recreation, or
- Strong verbal communication skills and ability to interact with the public.
- Capable of performing duties independently.
- Comfortable working outdoors for long hours and possibly in inclement weather.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Application Procedure: Send a resume, cover letter, and three references in one attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants should indicate preferred work location(s) in their cover letter. Please contact Mallory Broda
(email@example.com; 585-735-5978) or Professor Kimberly Schulz (firstname.lastname@example.org; 315-470-6808) with any questions
pertaining to the position. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.